The better question is why not?
If global food waste were a country, it would be the third-largest contributor of greenhouse gases, behind only the US and China. Nearly 40 percent of food produced in the U.S. is wasted each year; and even worse, the majority of it ends up in landfills where it is converted to methane, a potent greenhouse gas and major contributor to climate change. Unlike any other waste management solution (all of which release these gases into the atmosphere) anaerobic digestion (or AD) captures and converts these gases into clean fuel and fertilizer. You heard that right, AD is actually net-negative when it comes to greenhouse gas emissions.
Think about that next time you are holding an apple core or spent coffee grounds and want to find a better way to manage them. You’ve got the power, call Agri-Cycle today!
Reasons to work with Agri-Cycle
Anaerobic digestion is widely praised for the way it converts harmful greenhouse gasses into clean energy and fertilizer. Agri-Cycle makes it easy for you to become part of a sustainable solution. Here are a few great reasons to join us:
- We provide clean, renewable energy to the grid in Maine and throughout the region, powering roughly 1,500 homes annually and growing.
- We keep organic waste out of the region’s landfills, prolonging their lifespan and preventing the release of potent greenhouse gases.
- We have Maine’s first de-packager, capable of separating food products from cans, jugs, boxes, and other packaging, saving you time and money.
- We’re typically cheaper than traditional forms of disposal.
- We support a fifth-generation Maine dairy farm.